[pmwiki-users] Monthly pmwiki reminder emails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 4 12:31:16 CDT 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:15:26PM -0500, Ryan Varick wrote:
> I just noticed the monthly pmWiki listserv reminder email that I
> recieved.  Is it really a good idea to send users' passwords out,
> regularly and automatically, in clear text?  Also, I didn't check to
> see if I could disable this feature, I shouldn't have to.  The default
> behavior should not, in my opinion, send passwords out.  Thoughts?

That's just the way that Mailman works, it's not anything I really
have control over (unless I choose a different MLM entirely, which
is a bit more effort than I want to invest at the moment).  I could
turn off the monthly reminder email messages, though.

The purpose of the password is simply to keep people from messing
with your subscription, it's not really providing any sort of
"privacy".  As mentioned on the listinfo page [1], one shouldn't
use a valuable password here.

But I'll turn off the reminder emails if they're just bothering
people.  Occasionally they do help people (and me) discover a
problem in their email environment, however.