[pmwiki-users] Gallery (was: Costom markup for gallery page)

Ugo Mariani ugo at sinet.it
Thu Mar 31 16:38:34 CST 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 23:08, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:32:33PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > I was tempted to post a request for converting that to v2 also.  It
> > would be nice to be able to include a caption that would appear on the
> > large-photo page.
> >
> > I was thinking..
> >
> We could certainly do a (:gallery:)...(:galleryend:) markup.  However,
> all of this got me to thinking about a slightly different approach for
> building a gallery... so here's my current brainstorm:
>
> 1.  Let's assume that we use something like the existing uploads mechanism
> to upload image files into per-group folders (customizable).  For purposes
> of this discussion, let's call the upload folder a "gallery".  We'll also
> develop an improved version of the uploads page that makes it easier
> to upload images in bulk.

I usually organize each gallery in its own folder, and all images have the
same names (img001.jpg, img002.jpg, etc). Up to 200 images per folder, so
bulk uploading would be nice, although I use ftp. The folders would have to
be configurable via config.php, as they usually aren't in the pmwiki tree.

> 2.  Any page can contain a (:gallerylist:) markup, which displays
> a thumbnail index of all of the image files in the folder, generating
> thumbnails as needed.  This works similar to (:attachlist:) and
> (:pagelist:), except that it displays the images in a gallery format.
> (:gallerylist:) may even become just a specialized form of (:attachlist:)
> or (:pagelist:) with an appropriate 'fmt=' option.
>
> Each thumbnail is annotated with basic information about the image
> (configurable), but also becomes a link to a wiki page with the same
> name as the image file minus its extension.  Thus, an image of
> pmwiki-32.gif would create a page link to [[pmwiki-32]], which
> could hold more descriptive information about the page.

Would this generate 200 pages for my 200 images per folder?
In SinglePageGallery, all thumbnails point to a single page. More descriptive
information or an image's caption could be passed along as parameters.

A caption would be most welcome, I'm thinking if I can add another parameter
to the SinglePageGallery solution. With a text parameter, I could pass the
caption to the LargeImage page and have it displayed under the image.

Just my 2 cents...

--Ugo