[pmwiki-users] long way around

Hans design at flutesong.net
Mon Mar 28 01:26:13 CST 2005

Monday, March 28, 2005, 1:12:21 AM, John wrote:
> In trying to make the pages that handle for side bar and top bar
> and such I create a page with the name of the element I want such as
> Stories.TopBarMenu and then create it and fill it in and then cut
> off the referring link when I am done with the page.  What obvious
> technique am I missing.  I haven't  got an editor that will make the
> right format page for the Wiki.  It is internal somewhere.

Hi John,
I have to guess a bit about what you are trying to achieve here.
I had a look at your site with the link you provided. The pages
PageTopMenu and PageFootMenu are only relevant to GeminiTwo and
FixFlow skins. At the moment you use the pmwiki default skin, which
does not use these menu configuration pages. If you want to use
GeminiTwo as default you need to set in local/config.php
          $Skin= 'gemini';

To your question: you don't need to create a link to a new page before
editing the new page (although this is good practise and ensures that
any new page is linked to from somewhere and not orphaned). you could
simply change the name of the page in the browser's address bar to the
new page, making sure the group is correct and Capital letters are as
they should be, then press "Enter", and pmwiki takes you to the new
page to be created. But for the purpose of maintaining these menu
configuration pages gemini skin makes use of it may be good to create
a page Main.MenuOptions or something like it and just create links
there to all the various menu pages you use, including the sidebars.
That way you have a  central configuration page and find all the
relevant menu configurations of all your groups at one location, and
don't need to include links to these on any SideBar page.

One more thing I noticed:
On pages Stories.PageTopMenu and Stories.PageFootMenu it says:
   *[[{$Name}?action=edit | Edit Page]]
   * Stories

the second is not  a link right now. If you wish to link to Stories
you need to write
    * [[Stories/Stories]]

And if the Stories group should not have any top and foot menus visible
you can create  page Stories.GroupHeader and put in there:
    (:notopmenu:) (:nofootmenu:)

This assumes of course you use GeminiTwo or FixFlow skin.

Even smarter would be to make this conditional according to
authentication.
See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthenticatedAsConditional

Best,
~Hans