[pmwiki-users] Cross-group wiki trails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 27 12:44:13 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 08:06:17PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> >>Is it already fixed in beta27?
> >No, it's a significant bug without an easy fix.  It may be a while.
>
> Thanks. I'll advise the author to use full group/page names for the time
> being.

That works.  In truth the only time the group is needed is when the trail
crosses a group boundary, but having it everywhere doesn't hurt.

> > An author can even define a ring in the middle of a
> >trail:
>
> Doesn't sound very useful (*lot*s of potential for confusing readers),
> but it's cute anyway :-)

Yeah, it just falls out of the implementation, it wasn't designed
to do that.  :-)

> I *do* have a nagging feeling that, in the long run, this stance might
> not be a viable one. Trails refer to a central page, and any options
> that affect the trail as a whole should be placed on that page, too.
>
> For now I don't know of any concrete options though, so the simple way
> PmWiki is doing things now suits me fine. Maybe, if no trail extensions
> are ever called for, this might even hold :-)

Indeed, this is the foundation of PmWikiPhilosophy #3.  :-)

> One aside note: My misdesign indicator twitched slightly when I saw that
> the number of brackets to display is tied to the display of angle
> brackets for the first/last page in the trail. I.e. I have the choice to
> do either
>   | TrailIndex | Page2 >
> or
>   << | TrailIndex | Page2 >>
> but I can't have
>   < | TrailIndex | Page2 >
> or
>   | TrailIndex | Page2 >>

"<|TrailIndex|>"  produces   "TrailIndex | Page2 >>" at the
beginning of the trail (no leading | as in your example).

The original goal was that "<<|TrailIndex|>>" would always
produce the "arrows", while "<|TrailIndex|>" will produce the
arrows except at the start/beginning of the trail.  (In this sense
the rewrite of PmWiki.WikiTrails as it stands now is a bit incorrect.)

So, you're correct that there's not presently a way to produce
    < | TrailIndex | Page2 >
or
    TrailIndex | Page2 >>

but the option always exists to define markups that can handle this.
And if the markup is good enough, it can even be adopted into the
core.  Since we're looking at modifying wiki trails a bit anyway,
now is a good time to do it.  (It's worth pointing out that the
existing trail markups and implementation have existed for over two
years without serious comment. :-)