[pmwiki-users] pmwiki - questions & suggestions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 13:59:18 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:46:23PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Pmwiki uses hierachical categories for each page.
> > [...]
> > Are there any plans to move away from this?
>
> I think that what you're describing are WikiGroups, not categories --
> categories are something different.  (And they're not hierarchical.)

Argggh, I think my answer was more confusing than it should be.  So,
let me try again and do it clearer.

I think the original post confuses WikiGroups with Categories.
In PmWiki, every page belongs to exactly one WikiGroup, which is
part of the page's name (and url).  However, PmWiki also implements
categories as the original post desired, where a page can be a
member of many categories.  The thread at
http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-March/010982.html
is thus far the best description of categories, and we need to
fold this description into the official documentation somewhere.

In addition to groups and categories, PmWiki also has WikiTrails,
which make it easy to define navigation sequences (previous/next)
among pages in the wiki (as well as defining membership in a set).