Caching preprocessed CSS (was Re: [pmwiki-users] New skin: Pukka Float)

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:00:53 CST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 07:46:22 +0000, Hans <design at flutesong.net> wrote:
> Saturday, March 19, 2005, 3:50:03 AM, Patrick wrote:
> > You can fix this by including more PHP header() calls in the script
> > that tell the browsers it is okay to cache the output.  I'm just
> > pointing out that as written in Pukka the css files probably aren't
> > cached.
>
> How do you tell the browser that it is okay to cache the script output?
> This might be the best way forward for this skin design and others

I wish I knew.  My research so far indicates that caching is much more
complicated than I realized.  While I wish to cache the output of the
stitch_foo.php files, that output can be changed by changing those
files, OR by changing the CSS files.  So, I need to know (1) has this
file changed? (2) have any of the files included below changed? and
then generate the appropriate output (headers + content) for any of
the 4 possible cases.

All in all, it's too difficult for me right now, especially given that
there's still significant performance benefits from just stitching the
files together.  Since I came up with a way for the same template to
use either a float-based layout or an absolutely positioned layout,
and some tweaks, I'm working on that instead.

But you may want to look at http://nedmartin.org/site/caching and whip
a variant into shape.

Bronwyn