[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Modified (:markup:)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Mar 21 03:21:49 CST 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:39:52PM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>> Note that the output from an unpatched PmWiki as of beta26 will
>> just give you the rule names, not the patterns that they are
>> looking for. Either you take the ?action=diag output to retrieve
>> the patterns (requires some searching because it will give you a
>> dump of many if not all global variables), or you use the patch
>> that I published on Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:35:22 +0100 with a subject:
>> line of "Improvements for ?action=ruleset".
>
> When I wrote "?action=ruleset" I didn't need (or want) to see the
> patterns, just the resulting order in which the rules were defined.

That's what I assumed ;-)

> The patch modifying ?action=ruleset is worthy,

Thanks :-)

> but I also like the simplicity of the existing output as well.

Hmm... how about a variant of the patch where the border width and font
are configurable? (Could be done as a set of CSS instructions, so this
would be a single configuration variable.)
In that case, the output could be configured to look like what you're
getting today, the only remaining difference being that it's text/html
with a table instead of text/plain.

> So, I think I'd prefer to see the improvements implemented as a
> cookbook recipe, rather than bringing it into the core.  Perhaps
> ?action=ruletable ?

That's a good route to follow if the patch is not going into the core.
(Here a through struck me: wouldn't the other diagnostic stuff belong
into a recipe as well? At least the diagnostics that serve core or
markup development such as ?action={ruleset,diag}, diagnostics like
?action=phpinfo should probably remain core features since they serve
installation and administration. Making the developer diagnostics into
add-on recipes would also help keeping PmWiki's footprint down - the
times where it was "just under 100K" seem to be long gone.)

Anyway, I'm willing and eager to make the patch a separate action if it
isn't for the core, but I don't know enough about the hooks needed for
such an action. Any pointers to get me started?

Regards,
Jo