[pmwiki-users] Re: localmap.txt does not allow relative URIs (Was: host-independent ..

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Thu Mar 17 06:18:55 CST 2005

At 06:32 AM 3/17/2005, you wrote:
>  we don't
>want to scare people off by writing too much on that page... I think the
>page is already a bit to "heavy" and would benefit from being available in
>a short form and a more extended version.

I see. Then again, add a page of tips to the Administration section of the
cookbook and point to it from the documentation page.

> > Well, you could have a farm and keep one unadvertised field only
> > for upgrades.
>
>That is a good idea (and a good example of the kind of tips I was thinking
>should go on such a page:-). The drawback with that tip is that it won't
>work when you want/need to use a different server for the testing.

Oh, but then it's even easier. If you don't want a farm you don't need one.
The only thing to watch out for is server configuration. If the other
server has a different config (OS, php version, web server type, version,
or configuration), what you test there may (only when using certain
features, especially from cookbooks), not be representative of what you'll
get on the first server.

If you don't want a farm, I suggest you just copy all the contents of the
wiki you want to modify to another directory on the same server, then
change the variables with root definitions, either Url or Dir (like
$ScriptUrl, $PubDirUrl, $UploadDir) in all local/ config files and play
with it to your heart's content :) Just note down the files you add and the
config files you modify so you can transfer them to the main wiki when
you're done.

Personally, I test on win2k and deploy on linux, with different server
types. I had only one problem so far, which I fixed with this:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UseAlternativeConfigurations

where I didn't use $FarmD or other pmwiki var, because I wanted to keep the
recipe working in any version of pmwiki.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)