[pmwiki-users] OFF TOPIC: warning to PHPBB2 admins

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 16 17:43:52 CST 2005

I know that a few people who post here also run PHPBB2 bulletin boards.

One of mine was hacked with an SQL code injection attack. I am not sure
what the results of this hack are, but in one report, the author claims it
can be used to add an SQL user with administrative rights:

         http://www.waraxe.us/ftopict-426.html

If anyone has further info on this exploit, I would like to hear it via
private mail or by adding your comments to my wiki page here:

         http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/index.php/Guest/PHPBB2CodeInjection

Unfortunately, in the rush to mitigate the damage I ended up having my
server IP switched, so DNSes may be behind. (It's a long story you don't
want to hear, believe me!)

Apparently it is only version 2.0.11 or lower that is vulnerable, but when
I went to PHPBB2 to get an update, I found their site database was throwing
errors!!

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/