[pmwiki-users] Slight installation woes

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Mar 15 11:19:04 CST 2005

Hi all,

here's my feedback from installing PmWiki on several sites:

1) Installing PmWiki is a rather smooth process. Simply untar and off
you go. (Getting Apache to redirect to /wiki/pmwiki.php on a wiki-only
domain was far worse. Might warrant a cookbook entry, but my solution
was rather cludgy - took me a RedirectMatch with a nonobvious regular
expression. Maybe somebody has something better?)

2) Configuring PmWiki is a slightly different story. Docs are good, but
it's a bit of an "embarassment of riches" - many, many options to choose
from; many, many places to look (cookbook, sample-config.php,
DocumentationIndex, and possibly other places that I overlooked).

3) My server has a slightly unusual PHP configuration: it's running PHP
as cgi scripts through Apaches suEXEC wrapper (that's the only
reasonable way to isolate multiple customers from each other on Apache
1.3; suPHP and PHP SafeMode are just sorry excuses for that). To make
PmWiki work smoothly in this environment, I had to modify the permission
flags of the PmWiki environment, using the following shell commands:
   chmod ugo+x `find -name *.php`
   chmod go-w `find -name *.php`
   chmod go-w `find -type d`
I.e. add execute permission to all php scripts (so that they become
eligible for CGI execution), remove "group/world write" permissions from
them (suEXEC refuses to execute scripts that are writable by anybody but
the script's owner), and remove "group/world write" permissions from all
directories (suEXEC refuses to execute scripts that are in a directory
that's writable by anybody but the script's owner).

PM, could you adjust the permissions accordingly in the distribution
tarballs?

Regards,
Jo