[pmwiki-users] Re: Perfection and Menus (WAS: onover-bundling) . . .

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Mon Mar 14 22:01:08 CST 2005

At 11:11 PM 3/13/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>It's more than a crutch.  The GUI is also a handy reference tool to help
>people recall the text formatting rules, especially for rarely used
>markup sequences.  It also helps authors discover features they might
>otherwise know are available (e.g., MimeTeX, PasteExcel, etc.).

Well, if so, then the toolbar should be much larger, maybe js-dynamic, with
collapsible bars, etc, since the Markup available is quite extensive, not
to mention what can be introduced by the host of recipes.

> > In fact was looking into adding keyboard-handling js to the edit textarea
> > in order to tie the GUI buttons I use to keyboard shortcuts, and provide
> > the option for advanced users to do away with the buttons completely.
> > (incidentally, has anyone looked into this already?)
>
>This is a planned feature upgrade for the core.

Goodie! Are there any existing steps in that direction or would my input in
the form of a recipe be welcome?

> > And I'm puzzled to see some people are so addicted to it that they want to
> > make it norm.

I must really learn that understatement trick. :)

My apologies for the strong language.

>Why is upgrading affecting your overrides?  Upgrading shouldn't
>affect any local modifications or overrides.

Good point. I was overriding it badly (by disabling, rearranging and adding
buttons in various local configs but changing the functions in the
guiedit.php and .js)

Right now I switched to providing a new guiedit folder for my own mods and
placing it in /cookbook and disabling the default one. Maybe there's a
still better way that I didn't consider.

>  But a fundamental tenet of PmWiki's design is that local
>configurations should not be "undone" by an upgrade (especially a minor
>one).  Indeed, this was one factor that led me to write my own wiki
>rather than use other existing ones.

Great feature, of course. But this here newbie was too eager to get things
going and originally forgot about the need to upgrade :) Nose was
appropriately rubbed in it when it came time for beta26. All fixed now.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)