[pmwiki-users] Re: purpose-oriented Perfection

V.Krishn mistyfire at autograf.pl
Mon Mar 14 17:15:36 CST 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 00:47, you wrote:
> was: Re: Re: Perfection and Menus
>
> At 10:52 AM 3/13/2005, V.Krishn wrote:
> >Further sub-division of this group may be possible: like "Core-Suggested
> >Cookbook", "Core-Recommended Cookbook", "Core-Essential Cookbook".
> >...just to begin with :)
>
> Neat! This is indeed a great idea, along the lines of introducing recipes
> gradually rather than hitting newbies over the head with a large cookbook
> straight after the rather short Initial Tasks.
Some suggestios that could be a YardScale:
"Core-Suggested Cookbook" => Decided upon,
1. the number of Votes
     -- if the cookbook was requested in PITS.
     -- Sane dicussions in some cookbook page.
     -- Mailing list - eg. request of div tag.
2. Its Importance with respect to number of Bundles it spans. Eg. Most of the
users while installing it as Bundles CMS/Blog, or PmWiki as bare would like
to install receipe "Blocklist", "Blacklist", "Commentbox".
....Then this becomes a Suggested cookbook.

"Core-Recommended Cookbook" => Decided upon,
1. Its Importance with respect to number of Bundles it spans.
2. The simplicity of code. Example how good it integrates with PmWiki in
general and with other Cookbooks (must). Because if it clashes with other
cookbooks it can never be a CORE, rather a normal cookbook receipe.

"Core-Essential Cookbook" => ~~phew~~
1. The simplicity of code.
2. Whether the code requires (can only be achieved by) modification of some
core code. Which means some functions already defined in core code is
redefined in the receipe to get a new function.
3. Such modification would/can be used in all suggested bundles.
....THEN this receipe can gradually (of course weight of administrators may be
counted) be promoted inside CORE distro.
Eg. (i) In Beta26 - Added edit page templates (PITS:00113, requested by many
administrators). :)))
(ii) Page History does not have radio buttons to choose which history. Like in
other popular wikis. I have to wait couple of seconds or hit stop to see just
the last history :( . Load of full history by default is waste of bandwidth
and server resource. Do more than 10% of users need this full history?? .....
to begin with. :)

V.Krishn