[pmwiki-users] RSS fails with XML Parsing Error

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 13 21:45:43 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:59:52AM -0800, John Rector wrote:
> I do have a problem, however. I've turned on RSS output in
> local/config.php. When I enter a command like
>
> https://.../pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.RecentChanges?action=rss
>
> in Firefox 1.0 on Linux or Safari on Mac OS X, I get the message
>
> XML Parsing Error: xml processing instruction not at start of external
> entity
> Location: https://.../pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.RecentChanges?action=rss
> Line Number 2, Column 1:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> ^
>
> Any idea why this occurs?

Sure, "Line Number 2" is a big clue.  I'm guessing there some
extra blank spaces or lines after the trailing '?>' in your
config.php, or perhaps some other configuration file.  As a result,
the XML output isn't occurring at the extreme beginning of the file,
and the various browsers are (rightfully) complaining about that.