[pmwiki-users] numbered list questions

Carl Boe boe at demog.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 12 12:53:38 CST 2005

Greetings,

I am enjoying pmwiki a lot, but I am still learning and have many
questions.

I have recently done a lot of cutting /pasting to transfer documents
involving numbered lists.  If the list items in the editor window
contain line breaks, the list numbering is screwed up.  It seems that
the text block for a list item is delineated by a line feed??  Or
something.  I was expecting text to be wrapped from the beginning of the
# markup up through to either the next list item.

Example:  the markup
# Prepare the experiment
## Unwrap the pop-tart
## Insert the pop-tart into the toaster, but only after reading    <cr>
the list of ingredients and making sure that you have completed all <cr>
the paperwork regarding  experiments involving human subjects.
# Begin cooking the pop tart
# Stand back

where <cr> indicates a line feed, produces:

    1. Prepare the experiment
          1. Unwrap the pop-tart
          2. Insert the pop-tart into the toaster, but only after reading
the list of ingredients and making sure that you have completed all the
paperwork regarding experiments involving human subjects.
    1. Begin cooking the pop tart
    2. Stand back

(A look at the generated HTML shows that the first <cr> closes all the
lists then in effect and begins a new paragraph)

Keeping the entire list item content on a single long line in the editor
produces the expected results:

1. Prepare the experiment
    1. Unwrap the pop-tart
    2. Insert the pop-tart into the toaster, but only after reading the

       list of ingredients and making sure that you have completed all
       the paperwork regarding experiments involving human subjects.
2. Begin cooking the pop tart
3. Stand back

More generally, how is blocking of text handled within a list item? If I
wanted numbered items involving more than a single paragraph (and hence
having a blank line), is there a markup combination delineating a block
that would let me do this?

Regards,
--Carl