[pmwiki-users] Updating PmWiki (was: Re: Perfection and Menus

Fred Chittenden drfredc at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 11:14:23 CST 2005

That's an interesting option. I find uploading with FTP Commander easy
enough.

I guess my issue is with upgrading between versions 1 > 2, not updating
within v2, where new features are added to the config file.  This would of
course also apply to updating within V2, if new features are added to the
config file.

When this happens, one must edit the config file to the proper wiki_id
information before uploading. One character misedit in the wiki_id info and
your wiki goes down and you can spend a long time sorting out the minor
screwup...   Hence the less this critical info needs to be touched the
better.

The wiki's identity, that is part of the current config file would seem to
be generally stable, even between versions.  Hence, this info should be
moved and stored in a seperate wiki_id file in the local folder.   The
Wiki_ID file location could be referred to in the config file, defaulting
to the local folder where the config file is normally stored in.

This way, upgrading to a new version would become very simple for many.
Just make minor changes to the config file to activate or unactivate
features in the config file and upload to the wiki.  The wikiID file could
be left untouched in updates AND upgrades.

This way, those of us with several wikis going at several domains would
find it easy to stay up with the most recent wiki version.  One could just
unzip the latest wiki version, make any small config modifications, which
would be generic to all wikis one operates, and then upload the same set of
files to each wiki, without effecting or touching the wiki_ID information
that is unique to each individual wiki.