[pmwiki-users] Re: Categories (was: on over-bundling)

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Wed Mar 9 16:30:57 CST 2005

Yes, Pm already convinced me. I'm giving it an honest try to use categories
again, after being burned many times by the inexorable growth and rigidity
of structure that tends to result from extended use of ad-hoc and
(especially of) formal, pre-planned classification tools based on discrete
symbols.

Here's hoping that Pm's approach won't lead that way. Especially since the
world of wiki is rather well-defined(or -definable) formally to begin with.

At 04:02 PM 3/9/2005, you wrote:
>On Thursday, 10 March 2005 4:15 AM, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> >One more thing to clarify:
> >
> >Are we going to use the Category group to classify several
> >types of things?
> >
> >We currently have classified mainly Cookbook pages, but I wanted to add
> >bundling classification, and that may interfere: if we proceed as we are
> >we'll get from Category.Category a mixed list of various types.
> >
> >I suggest specialized categories, like
> >CookUpload,
> >CookAdministration,
> >Bundle4CMS,
> >Bundle4Blog,
> >DocsToDo
> >Docs4PmWiki
> >
> >That would at least list related classifications together and hopefully
> >reduce confusion. Grouping Gestalt and all :)
>
>Although since the list of pages in a category is organised by group
>(I think), this may not be a big problem.
>
>Another approach would be to categorise the categories. That is,
>(for example), on the Category.Blog and Category.CMS pages put
>[[!bundle]], showing that the blog and CMS categories are in the
>bundle category.
>
>There are at least 2 ways of categorising categories:
>
>- by the group to which they refer, such as Cookbook or PmWiki
>
>- by the wiki-wide topic
>
>In some ways, it may be easier to go ahead and categorise
>pages, then work out from the categories used how best to
>group the categories into higher level category groupings.
>
>Just a thought...
>
>--
>JR
>--