[pmwiki-users] on over-bundling

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Tue Mar 8 20:51:49 CST 2005

Hello folks.

Q: how can we keep pmwiki as effective for each application as possible?

A1: bundle lots of features in one distribution
A2: continue the current patchwork of individual recipes and skins
A3: create use-niche trails (see discussion below)
A4: ....

This is a more general question I'd like to get people's opinion on.

One of the PmWiki Philosophy points I like a lot is basically KISS (keep it
simple sir ;). However, many issues in the PITS are clamoring for more and
more functionality to be included with the default distribution.

Me, I like PmWiki for it's nimbleness. It's relatively small compared with
many CMSes out there but combined with the Cookbook and Skins it makes for
a very adaptable tool.

Now, I had suggested to Pm that a more modular distribution might be a good
idea.
Basically, a core wiki coupled with one or several mod paths. Sort of an
extension of the current Download, Install and InnitialTasks, maybe leading
in several directions.

Different people want to use the wiki for different things, so why not
separate (possibly sort?) PITS issues based on use-niche (e.g. CMS, blog,
project development...)

I already mentioned that the Cookbook is getting out of hand. If I'm not
the only one who noticed that, let's brainstorm some ideas to deal with
that problem. Maybe leave the Cookbook sorted by problem addressed, but add
additional trails with features specific for each use-niche?

That would allow the pmwiki core to do the core wiki things (provide
infrastructure for various features, but not the feature details), and let
recipes fill the gap to fully-integrated solution for each use-niche (which
people could collaborate on maintaining at the end of each use-niche trail)

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and we should all concentrate towards building a
unique distribution that does everything for everybody... but somehow that
smells Microfishy :)

Opinions? Comments? Counter-arguments?

Cheers,
Radu