[pmwiki-users] URL approval questions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 6 19:28:16 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 01:53:10AM -0800, Oneida Kincaid wrote:
> I haven't used the URL approval feature before because all
> of the pages on my web site are password protected for
> editing. But now that I've installed the guestbook and forum
> plugins, URL approval has zoomed to the top of my interest
> list, given how they are such spam magnets. I looked at the
> documentation for  URL approval and it seems like it is an
> all or nothing deal, but I thought I'd ask if perhaps there
> is an undocumented way to restrict its application to, say,
> just the Guestbook and Forum groups.

Be sure to read the documentation in the urlapprove.php script
itself -- the documentation that is in pmwiki.org doesn't adequately
describe it.

It's easy to set url approvals only in certain groups -- simply do
the include of urlapprove.php only in the per-group customization
files.  Another way to do it is to place

    include_once('scripts/urlapprove.php');
    $EnableUrlApprovalRequired = 0;

in config.php, then place

    $EnableUrlApprovalRequired = 1;

in any per-group or per-page configuration files where you want
url approvals to be activated.

> Also, will URL approval apply to all pages in a wiki or just
> to pages added or edited after URL approval is implemented?

When url approvals are activated, they apply to all existing wiki
pages as well as new ones.  In other words, the urls are approved or
unapproved at the time they're displayed to the browser, not at the
time they're entered into the page.