[pmwiki-users] Re: Forum and guestbook for 2.x beta?

Oneida Kincaid oneida.kincaid at verizon.net
Sun Mar 6 03:15:33 CST 2005

Patrick Ogay wrote:

>The work is done. I had to substitute FmtWikiLink()
>and other V1 specific things, but now it seems to
>work, like on the original Page.

Thanks, Patrick, I really appreciate your work in converting
the forum to work with v2. It works really great and I'm
very pleased with it.

Two (hopefully small) questions:

1. As I was doing some test posts while customizing the
layout a bit, I came across a little quirk - if a period is
included in the topic title (such as, Another test post.),
the topic link shows up with just the date stamp portion and
is in wiki edit format (e.g., 422abf9a?). Also, a file for
the post gets created in wiki.d, but with the name of .,new.
(Interestingly, the correct file name is inside the .,new
file, e.g., name=.AnotherTestPost422abf9a.)

I assumed the php parser is getting thrown off by the period
in the title and the problem could be fixed by using a regex
expression to escape the period, so I did a search on Google
and came across Php's preg_quote function. I had the bright
idea of adding $topictitle = preg_quote($topictitle) after
$topictitle=StripCSlashes($_GET["topic"]), but apparently
it's not that simple, as the same thing still happened.
Unfortunately, that pretty much exhausted my self-help
skills in terms of Php. Do you have any ideas on how to fix
this little quirk? Given Murphy's Law, it seems likely that
someone will eventually post a message with a title that has
a period in it (or a comma, apostrophe, etc. that might
cause a similar problem), even if I put a big, bold warning
not to include a period in the title.

2. Is it possible to just have the topic titles on the main
forum page be the links to the individual topic pages,
instead of the way it is now with the topic links using the
wiki page name as the link name, followed by the topic title
in plain text? I tried to figure out how to have links like
[[Forum.PageName | topic title]], but got lost among
$pos=strpos($rcpage['text'] and similar hieroglyphics, and
just managed to mess everything up.

Thanks again,
Oneida