[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: <div> markup suggestions...?

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:06:56 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:50:54 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:48:43PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> >
> > I suggest we take a cue from the table markup, and provide both simple
> > and advanced methods.  Simple divs can't be nested, but their markup
> > is easy to write, because they'll be used frequently.  Advanced divs
> > can be nested, and have closing tags that allow both humans and PmWiki
> > to determine which closing tag belongs to which div.
>
> I'm not planning to do nested advanced divs, sorry.  (Even
> PmWiki's advanced tables don't nest.)

That's ok.  I was looking at the idea, and thinking, "What a mess that
could be.  Are there any good reasons for someone to use nested divs
in the content (as opposed to the skin)"

> > Like Dan McMullen, I'd like block wikistyles to be able to contain
> > multiple paragraphs.  When I first encountered them, I expected a
> > block wikistyle to stay on until I turned it off.  (Disclaimer: I code
> > HTML.)  Does anybody have a good user-level reason for simple divs and
> > block wikistyles to stay separate?
>
> Yes, when styling a list the style should not propagate beyond the
> end of the list.  Rather than try to overload %block style% to this
> purpose, I'd prefer to introduce an explicit [%style%] that works
> over blocks and is syntactically distinct from existing wiki styles.

Point.  I though list styles were separate, but maybe I'm confused.
When it comes to defining the style attributes for a div, and saving
it for future use, that perhaps ought to mirror wikistyles.  Reducing
cognitive overhead is good, because then we can concentrate on the
content. :)

Bronwyn