[pmwiki-users] Re: authuser and .htgroups

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 05:05:54 CDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> H. Fox wrote:
> > Instead of using 'pam', how about 'Linux-PAM' or even just 'PAM' in
> > capital letters.
>
> I have to agree with Jeremy here. Capital letters aren't a guarantee
> against namespace collision (uppercase letters in user names are quite
> common everywhere except in the Unix world).

I wasn't suggesting using PAM on a non-Linux system, but I suppose a
name collision with PAM is still possible.  Probably not with
Linux-PAM though.

Besides, a user with the name of PAM would be able to authenticate
successfully via PAM, wouldn't she?

> Besides, we might want to add a new scheme and later get a report
> somebobdy's login name happens to collide with the new authentication
> scheme identifier - ulch.

It depends upon the name of the new scheme.  Collisions could easily
be avoided by using unlikely-to-collide identifier names like e.g.
PmAuth-AD, PmAuth-PAM, etc.

Configurable auth-scheme names would certainly guarantee against collision.

> Besides, it's really cleaner to put the stuff into a separate array.
[..]
> Separating the stuff into a separate array should also be technically
> the simplest solution :-)

I presumed that wasn't so because Pm didn't do it that way.

Hagan