[pmwiki-users] UserAuth vs. AuthUser

Jeremy Sproat sproaticus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:36:17 CDT 2005

Hello,

I was a little confused about the differences between AuthUser and
UserAuth (see http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUser and
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UserAuth respectively).  I feel
better now ;-) but I have some questions about the features and future
of each.

It appears that AuthUser is officially part of the PmWiki distribution
now.  It also appears to be in early development.  Does AuthUser
represent the official authentication scheme for PmWiki?

Are there any plans to offer per-group security in AuthUser like
UserAuth provides?  For example, in UserAuth I can specify that user
Bob is the only one (besides Admin) who can view, edit, upload, etc.
to the TopSecret group, but anyone can do anything with the WideOpen
group.  In UserAuth it all seems to be done in the .htpasswd file
(it's the last field on each user line), but it'd be cool to be able
to do this in AuthUser, especially config.php as well, e.g.

       $DefaultPasswords['edit_group-TopSecret'] = 'id:Bob';

Another question: if AuthUser is the official authentication
framework, does this mean that there are no plans to extend and/or
support UserAuth?

Lastly, is AuthUser the framework which will allow LDAP-based authentication?

Cheers,
 - sproaticus