[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Jun 24 14:12:21 CDT 2005

At 2005-06-24  01:36 PM -0400, Martin Fick is rumored to have said:
> > 2) One-shot forms ("administrative" ones). Syntax is of secondary
> > importance, giving access to as many useful capabilities of HTML as
> > possible is more relevant.
>
>   I'm still not buying this hardline admin/user split.

Martin

Perhaps your audience is different, but some of my users even find normal
markup (* for bullet, etc.) too daunting. They will *never* want to create
forms, but they are glad to fill them in.

One group I am working with is talking about using a wiki instead of a
database/form solution for keeping track of installed equipment in various
plants around the world. They feel that a form-based solution would be too
rigid. They really like the flexibility of organizing pages themselves.
Pages can contain all kinds of information - serial numbers, software
revision levels, planned upgrades, location maps, installation bottlenecks,
local problems, and so on. They also want to be able to enter narrative
information for things like trip reports, action plans, and budgets.

I don't doubt that many of these items could be handled by forms, but the
most the users are really looking for is a new page template, and that
facility already exists in the cookbook.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668