[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Thu Jun 23 10:30:59 CDT 2005

> FWIW, somehow the following look more like input forms to me:
>
>    [__________]    a text input line
>    [**********]    a password text area
>    [X]             a checkbox
>    [*]             a radio button
>    [Submit]        a submit button

  Brilliant, they do look like input forms!  I guess that's
why you're in charge. :)

> however, the problem with the above is that there doesn't seem to be
> an easy way to attach attributes to them (name, value, etc.).  The
> (:...:) directives have the advantage of looking a little bit like
> input fields while providing a convenient place to hang attributes.
> Although yes, I agree it has a lot of length.
>
> Pm

  So if we add the extra few elements, visually we get
something like this:

 a submit button         [Submit]
 a hidden element        [(.)]
 a text input line       [__________]
 a text input box        [==========] or [:::::::::]
 a password text area    [**********]
 a checkbox	         [X]
 a radio button          [*]
 a menu                  [{,}]

Simple rule #1:

  We could simply use a line break to indicate the end of
  the elements  attributes and use the already proposed
  rules:

[__________] name

Additional rule #2:

  We could add a termination character in case people want
  to put more than one on a line or in a table:
  (The colon following the input box terminates it)

|| First Name: [__________] first : || Last Name: [__________] last : ||

  or could we somehow double up the use of || like this?:

|| First Name: [__________] first || Last Name: [__________] last ||

  While the above two rules might be consistent, they do no
considerably shorten the syntax in all cases therfore the
(:input...:) syntax would probably still be clearer.  I
would think that further optimizations (shorthands) to the
syntax would be needed to make it worthwile.  Again, I
suggest using more  defaults.  When possible assume the
name and value to be the same unless specified otherwise,
this could save a lot for several elements.

  I realize this is probably hard to code, but another
shorthand might be to include the attributes inside the
brakets.  Could we us similar shorthands to links?

 [(User)Name=______]

  Would display a line input box preceeded by a title
'Name:' and the html element would be named 'UserName'.
i.e.

 Name: <input type=text name='UserName'/>

Or:

  User[name=______]

would give:

 Username: <input type=text name='name'/>

  -Martin