[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Wed Jun 22 18:32:04 CDT 2005

I like it! I have been hoping for something like this for a
while.

I do wonder though if we should not make the syntax more
'wiki' like, ie even simpler! One simplification would be
to eliminate the directive styling and create a form style,
something like --form element--

So, instead of:                   We would have:

(:input start form-name script:)  --form name--
(:input button name label:)       --button name label--
(:input data name value:)         --hidden name value--
(:input line name:)               --line name--
(:input text name:)               --text name--
(:input checkbox name:)           --checkbox name--
(:input radiobutton name:)        --radiobutton name-
(:input menu name:)               --menu name--

                 --------------------------

I would even suggest taking it further, after all, most of
the wiki markup if much simpler than that. This is
probably too complicated to remember, but it might inspire
some thoughts:

Instead of:                       We would have:
                                  ([brakets] do mean optional here)

(:input start form-name script:)  --[name][=action]--
(:input button name label:)       -!-[name=]value
(:input data name value:)         -(name=value)-
(:input line name:)               -_- name[=value]
(:input text name:)               -#- name[=value]
(:input checkbox name:)           -x- [name=]value
(:input radiobutton name:)        -o- [name=]value
(:input menu name:)               -{name=!selecteditem1,item2,...}-

When name is optional and it is required for html, it can
be set equal to the value if it is not supplied.  I'm sure
this is full of gaping holes, but I am trying to envision
something really simple that could dramatically decrease
the markup size, like this:

Instead of (sorry if this is way off):

(:input checkbox name1 value=value1:)
(:input checkbox name2 value=value2:)