Cookbook -was [pmwiki-users] PmWiki/DocumentationIndex

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jun 19 10:39:46 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 07:33:19AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> So if we want to create a list which has explanations in tabular
> format, would it be possible to augment the simple table syntax so it
> accepts list items in the first cell of each row? Like this:

> ||*[[link 1]] || explanation one ||
> ||*[[link 2]] || explanation two ||
>
> this would look a lot easier in markup.

What would it generate on output (in HTML)?  Should it really be
generating table cells containing unordered lists of one item each?

Pm

> perhaps it needs to be even more expanded to allow list items in any
> cell, to create multi-column tabular lists, like

> ||*[[link 1]] ||*[[link 2]] ||
> ||*[[link 3]] ||*[[link 4]] ||
>
> This all looks a lot easier than the html output!

Yes, but it won't parse as a wikitrail.

For two-column output on some of my sites I've introduced a (:column:)
markup, so that the above would be:

(:column:)
*[[link 1]]
*[[link 3]]
(:column:)
*[[link 2]]
*[[link 4]]
(:columnend:)

but then there's no way to guarantee that link 1 is horizontally aligned
with link 2, as we would want with something like

> *[[link 1]] - explanation one
> *[[link 2]] - explanation two

The problem is that (AFAIK) there's just not a good way to do columnar
lists in HTML.  Maybe we should do a bit of research on that.  I might
be able to come up with something in wikistyles... :-)