[pmwiki-users] PmWiki/DocumentationIndex

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Jun 18 10:40:59 CDT 2005

Hans wrote:

> another note on information accessability:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DocumentationIndex
> is now structured in a two column layout.
>
> This was done with the good intention of making the page more readable
> I would think. But it has the opposite effect on me, as i find it
> harder to scan down a page when I have to go from left to right column
> and back all the time. I find the one column layout much quicker to
> scan. so I like to ask if there is any objection to restore the
> original one column list? If one wanted to make it nicer one could
> have a second column for brief explanation lines to the links listed
> on the left, as some section have already, but not in a tabular format
> yet.

I don't think that explanations would cut it. The page is already
over-full - adding even more text would make it less manageable.

I'm not sure about the two columns myself. It does have the advantages
and disadvantages that you list.

Maybe the page should just have two columns, instead of making each
section its own two-column table. See
http://durchholz.org/jo/testwiki/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.DocumentationIndex
how it looks like without additional laying-out (which would most
certainly be needed).

Regards,
Jo