[pmwiki-users] Re: Per-group subdirectories in wiki.d/

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jun 17 23:07:40 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 04:01:51AM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, DaveG wrote:
>
> > So exactly *why* might I want to do this?
>
> Imagine that you have tens of thousands of pages in each of a few thousand
> groups... you might hit the limit of the file system. Or performance migth
> *just* be bad :-)
>
> /Christian
>
> PS. Wasn't there an old DOS limit of like 255 files per directory?
> What's a typical limit today on ext3 or NTFS?

I believe the limit for ext2 (and ext3) is 32,000 files in a directory,
as controlled by the definition of EXT2_LINK_MAX in include/linux/ext2_fs.h :

    #define EXT2_LINK_MAX           32000

So, one might want to store pages in separate subdirectories if
they expect to have lots of pages (I have several wikis with this
requirement).

Another reason is that file access times can be slower for directories
with lots of files in them, so reducing the number of files per
directory can benefit performance.

But for the average-sized installation it's probably not worth worrying
too much about until one gets in the ~10,000 page range.