[pmwiki-users] how can I authorize many users with the same password?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Fri Jun 17 10:54:48 CDT 2005

At 2005-06-17  10:45 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > I want to change this so that *any* user name is valid, as long as it is
> > used with a correct  (shared) password. There will be only *one* shared
> > password. In effect I want to have wildcard acceptance of the user name.
> >
> > I do not just want to have a password without a username, because I have
> > set PmWiki to use the  authenticated name as the Author.
> >
> > Can I do this?
>
>....well, are you asking if there's a way to do this for Apache
>Basic Authentication in general, or just for the PmWiki-portions
>of the site?  Does the access control need to protect more than
>just PmWiki?

Well ...

If possible, I would like to do it using Apache BA, because in some cases,
the entire site (of which PmWiki is a part) needs to be protected.

If not possible, a PmWiki-only solution should work. I just need to figure
out how to structure things to protect the other content.

I tried using a PmWiki site-wide read password, but it has the undesirable
(to me) side effect of displaying the password entry form on a PmWiki page
that reveals information in the page header. I suspect that this can be
suppressed, but am not sure how. Disadvantage number 2 is that the user
only enters a password and not a user/author name.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668