[pmwiki-users] More template queries and UTF-8 display

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Thu Jun 16 08:05:22 CDT 2005

On 16/06/2005, at 9:15 PM, Hans wrote:

> Clytie, I cannot see those pages. They don't show in a search.
> And they don't work pasting into a browser's address bar.

Oh, poo. I wondered if they would work in that way. They work fine as
internal links: try them on the main PmWikiVi page:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiVi/PmWikiVi

they're down towards the end of the files table.

They should still turn up in a search for PmWikiVi, shouldn't they?
I'd still rather have accented links, even if it means they only work
internally, as long as the search engines will pick up the main Vi
page. No accents just ruins the meaning of the words. :(

I've noticed that my browser (or the server returning the page) is
mangling the accented vowels horribly when showing the address in the
status bar. If I copy the address of the translated cookbook
template, for example, instead of:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiVi/SáchCẩmNang

I get:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiVi/S%c3%a1chC%e1%ba%a9mNang

which is UGLY. Which end is doing that? My browser is pretty good
with UTF-8 (OmniWeb 5.1, full of tech gadgets, um, serious tools).

Google can search accurately using UTF-8 characters, so I wonder if
the search capability in PmWiki is still set to iso-8859-1...

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc