[pmwiki-users] Utility pages

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Jun 15 00:25:37 CDT 2005

On Wednesday, 15 June 2005 2:45 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>With this message I'll try to review the options discussed thus far,
>offer some opinions, and then let's see if we can come to a decision
>that most of us can live with.
>
>  Site
>    Actually, this one is growing on me the more I think about it --
>    Site.AllRecentChanges, Site.SearchWiki, Site.EditForm, Site.ActionList,
>    Site.EditQuickReference, etc.  all seem to work very well.  The downside
>    is that it encroaches on sites that want to use "Site" as a group--
>    but I suspect that's not common (and the few sites that want to do
>    this can move the default Site.* pages to another group).

'Site' works for me. So would 'Wiki'. OTOH...

>Of the above, my favorite is now "Site".  It's short, and reasonably
>descriptive of its contents.  My previous objection to the
>"Site" proposal was that I didn't like "Site.HomePage" as the default
>starting page, but since we're now likely to be making a distinction
>between the "home" group and the "utility pages" group we can leave
>the default starting point as "Main.HomePage" without any
>difficulty.

Describing them as "utility pages" seems natural and descriptive.
The title of this message is 'Utility pages' not 'Site pages'.
So 'Util', 'UP', 'UPage' have some appeal (rejecting 'Utility'
for the reason given).

>If we go with "Site", I think the obvious configuration variable name
>for it is $SiteGroup.

Or possibly $UtilityGroup. I can't help but think that potentially the
DocumentationIndex page will be called UtilityGroup, not SiteGroup.

And I think this is a great idea, BTW.

--
JR