[pmwiki-users] off-topic: Behaviour of non-existiant home page (was: Nested groups)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Jun 2 23:12:24 CDT 2005

At 2005-06-02  10:53 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>I'll be the first to admit that the current behavior isn't entirely
>obvious, but I'm also uncertain as to what the better alternative is.
>It doesn't seem entirely right to me that Main.PageNotFound appears
>up for every non-existent page, but perhaps that's what it should
>be.  (We'd also have to carefully consider webcrawler ramifications.)

The behavior is very confusing to me. Any unknown page should bring up
Main.PageNotFound which provides explicit instructions and choices to the
author. The current method makes it look like the page really did exist but
was empty.

As for crawlers, Main.PageNotFound already generates <meta name='robots'
content='noindex,nofollow' />. Is that not enough?

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668