[pmwiki-users] Re: css background-image positioning

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jul 29 13:16:15 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 07:03:51PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Friday, July 29, 2005, 6:19:57 PM, Stephan wrote:
> > Thank you for the finish of perfect background handling.
>
> Not quite yet.
>
> We cannot use background images in styles like
> %block background-image=url(.........)%

There are at least a few reasons for this...
  - Urls tend to have lots of nasty %-signs in them, as
    well as other characters that don't really belong
    in wikistyles.
  - Because of the sequence in which things are
    processed, the url inside the parens has to be [=...=]
    escaped.
  - someone, somewhere is going to eventually ask why
    background-image=url(Attach:image.png) doesn't work

At some point I just have to point to PmWikiPhilosophy #2
and say that we're really not trying to recreate in wiki
syntax everything that could possibly be done in HTML.
If there's a useful syntax for it that we can implement,
great, otherwise we just leave it to the raw HTML and
admin support to handle.

> And I don't know how to specify a background image to the whole
> #wikitext div via markup.

Seems to me that this ought to have a special markup.