[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Jul 28 12:05:23 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-28  11:44 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>I think it's important to note that HTML 4 doesn't have any special
>constructs for image captions, thus what we're calling a "caption" here
>is really just "anything that appears below the image but within the
>same frame".  "  In fact, with
>
>     %rframe% Attach:image.gif | caption
>
>the vertical brace is doing nothing more than generating a <br /> tag
>in the output.  It's also important to note that a caption isn't (or
>shouldn't be) limited to simple text, it can have its own styling,
>links, and even images within the caption itself.
>
>     %rframe% Attach:cover.gif"cover image" | The Book \
>     of Wiki [[Attach:book.pdf | Attach:pdf-icon.png"PDF" ]]

Light bulb goes on ... Ahhh!

The explanation that the so-called caption is really  "anything that
appears below the image but within the same frame" makes me want to retract
many of my suggestions. I was thinking of the "caption" as ... well ... a
text-only caption of the sort you see in a magazine under a photo. Not sure
what to call the "anything ..." to prevent this leap. (frame break???)

Does this markup allow for multiple instances of the "frame break" vertical
bar? As in:
%rframe% Attach:image1.gif"image1" | an image \
      to look at | Attach:image2.gif"image2" | another image

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668