[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Jul 28 10:49:27 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-28  10:12 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>Note that I'm not talking about alternate text, which remains in
>double-quotes as before:
>
>     Here is a photo  Attach:image.gif"alt text" in the middle of text.
>
>     %rframe% Attach:image.gif"alt text" | My Caption

I am not greatly concerned about how this is resolved, but I am curious (no
smart remarks!!) about the proposals. :-)

What would the downside of using more explicit markup be?

For example: %rframe% Attach:image.gif alt="text" caption="My Caption"

I realize that there may be problems parsing this, but to my human eyes,
the notation seems more obvious than the proposed rule: "enclose alt text
in quotes and put captions after a vertical bar as the last thing on the line".

The fact that the proposed notation is more compact is not lost on me, but
how often will most authors use this notation? I suspect, not very often
compared to other markup, and they will have to look up the rules every
time. Plus, if a new author attempts to edit a page that has this notation
on it, they will probably need to toggle back and forth between the display
and edit view to figure out what it does.

As I said at the start, I am not greatly concerned with how this is
resolved, but I hope we aren't losing sight of PmWiki goal number 1, which
is "favor writers over readers".

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/