[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:39:38 CDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:20:05AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> >
> Here I'm explicitly including the possibility of re-using
> some of the existing PmWiki block markup sequences.  Some ideas...
>
>     %frame% Attach:image.jpg | caption

So long as containing the caption isn't a problem, this one is good.
PmWiki users already associate the pipe with "the following text
describes the preceding item".  Possible bad thing: what if people
expect it to generate a link with the text "caption" instead?

>     %frame% Attach:image.jpg - caption
>     %frame% Attach:image.jpg -- caption
>     %frame% Attach:image.jpg : caption

All these have possibilities since they too are natural separators.  I
have " -- " hardwired in my fingers for various reasons already, so
it's my favourite from this bunch.  " : " is a little more hassle to
type, and I forsee a lot of forgetting the initial space.

>     %frame% Attach:image.jpg ! caption !         ( analogue: table captions )

While the analogy is valuable, this one doesn't feel as natural as the
others do.

Bronwyn