[pmwiki-users] Numbered lists and multi-paragraph

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Tue Jul 26 20:40:49 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:18:38PM -0400, DaveG wrote:
>

>>   Still not sure what's happening in this case:
>>   # Line 1 \\
>>   Attach:abc.jpg \\
>>   # Line 2
>>

>A backslash at the end of a line "joins" the subsequent line to the
>previous one.  Extra backslashes introduce line breaks.  So, the
>two slashes after the image above cause # Line 2 to be treated as
>a continuation of Line 1, which isn't what you want.

Not sure your description is totally accurate. The \\ joins the
subsequent line, but is primarily used when you want a styling affect to
carry from the first to the second line, rather than to merely merge to
lines. If you simply enter a single carriage return, the lines join
together, no \\ required:
abc
def

Results in:
abc def

This is confusing, particularly with images:
abc
Attach:image.jpg

Results in:
abc <image>

rather than:
abc
<image>

To get the affect with no blank line output, we need to:
abc\\\
Attach:image.jpg

Newbie members at my site frequently hit a single cr at the end of a
line, only to have it join back to the originating line. Why not just do
a <br> on a single cr, and use the \\ to span styles over lines, and
thus eliminate \\\? I suspect there's plenty of history I'm missing
here... :)

 ~ ~ Dave

>As you already discovered; the general mechanism to get a blank line
>in the output is to put a blank line in the input.  :-)

This makes sense... except for the examples above!