[pmwiki-users] Re: trail bookmarks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jul 26 12:31:32 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:15:04PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> What if you did
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables?action=diag#anchor
>
> (and you're on another page). Does the browser send only
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables?action=diag
>
> and when the result has returned, it looks for #anchor?

Yes.

> Btw.. if the url fragment accpets lots of different characters, how come
> that we have restrictions for the anchor name?

The restrictions for anchor names come from the HTML specification,
not the url syntax.  And the names used in HTML often have to correspond
with css selectors and identifiers in other contexts, which is why it
limits names to US-ASCII.

I do agree that the limitation of HTML names to US-ASCII is probably
too strict in the long run, but the only sensible answer will probably
be to use utf-8 encodings, and there are lots of reasons why the
world is just not in a position to be able to do that yet.
And I suspect that allowing Latin-1 or other ISO-8859-* sets in
HTML names would end up being a huge mistake in the long run.

To answer your question slightly differently:  The scope of things
that urls are intended to cover is much larger than just HTTP and
HTML, so the generic url specification imposes far fewer restrictions
than what we might find for a particular scheme or resource.