[pmwiki-users] Skins and Custom Edit Forms

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Jul 26 07:53:37 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:15:56AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > But it has the side-effect to enable any user to create their own Edit
> > Form, which some admins may not want, because it defines the
> > $PageEditForm via the XL function.
> > Is there a way to prevent this, or do we need to use $PageEditFmt?
>
> thinking about it more:
> The option of giving users the ability to create their own edit forms
> should be left to the admin. So
>
> $PageEditForm = '$[Site.EditForm]';
>
> should be set by the admin, in config.php, if this option is wanted.
> It should not be set by the skin if possible.

Or, the skin can set it only if it's not set already, by using
SDV ("set default value"):

    SDV($PageEditForm, '$[Site.EditForm]');
or
    SDV($PageEditForm, 'Site.myskin-EditForm');

This means that the skin can suggest an alternate edit form that is
used upon install, but the admin is still free to override
the skin's choice by explicitly setting $PageEditForm in
config.php.