[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 25 21:01:03 CDT 2005

Currently PmWiki uses %align=left% and %align=right% in front
inlined images to indicate floating left and floating right images,
with text wrapping around the image as appropriate.  Thus, one might see

    %align=left% http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif
    Here is some text that will wrap around the right of the above image.

As many have remarked, one of the issues with the existing implementation
is that the floating image has no margin (ugly), and there's not an easy way
to set one.  This is being fixed.

But what I can really use some help with at the moment is identifying
wikistyle names that easily indicate "float image left with margin"
and "float image right with margin".  Ideally whatever we come up with
ought to be fewer characters than the existing %align=left%, which
is a bit of a pain to type.

So far the best I've been able to come up with are %imgleft% and
%imgright%, but I'm not totally satisfied with those.  Other
possibilities might be %ileft% and %iright%, which are a bit more
cryptic but fewer characters.

Note that %left% and %right% aren't readily available, as they're
already used for left/right justification of paragraphs and other
items.  Otherwise I would've probably gone with %img left% and %img right%.
(Although maybe %img-left% and %img-right% would be okay.)

Anyone else have any ideas for what we could use for this...?

Pm

P.S.:  For those who may be concerned...  no, I'm not planning to eliminate
%align=left% and %align=right% -- they will remain as before.  I'm simply
wanting to come up with a better markup that does what one generally
wants to have done when floating an image left or right.