[pmwiki-users] How do I only let authorized users edit pages?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 16:52:00 CDT 2005

--- Benjamin Wilson <ameen at dausha.net> wrote:

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I've found this page:
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LocalCustomizations
> > and am trying to figure out how scripts/authuser.php
> > works. Any pointers still gratefully accepted. :)
> >
> > Since this seems like a very common thing for wiki admins
> > to do, it would be great if there was a detailed example
> > right on that http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LocalCustomizations
> > page of exactly what you modify, and where, to make it happen.
> >
> > Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but my pmwiki/cookbook
> > directory is completely empty (except for a .cvsignore file).
>
> This is an area where PmWiki continues to evolve.
>
> Userauth is a Cookbook recipe that allows administration of users via
> the browser (http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UserAuth), which includes
> whether a given user can edit.
>
> Ben

Ok, so, there seems to be two options:
1. scripts/authuser.php
2. "Cookbook recipe": UserAuth

I'm getting the impression that pmwiki doesn't have the notion
of "registered users". Is that correct?

If so, it seems like I've got to set a password for a page, using
this action=attr URL thingy:
http://www.foo.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage&action=attr

That seems a bit crazy to me, since pages will be added all
the time by various people, so I can't follow everyone around
doing this action=attr thing.

How about this: can I just make it so only the admin can edit
pages? That's ok for now, since I'm the only one editing pages
right now. In a few months though it'll turn into a pain.

Also -- is my cookbook directory supposed to be empty?
Do I manually add "recipes" as-needed?

Thanks,
---J