[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Using AllRecentChanges as a shared page between fields

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Jul 24 08:22:02 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

 >chr at home.se wrote:
>
>>... In addition, I think that using wiki.d/ in this way isn't "clean",
>>and speaks for changing the directory structure into something like
>>
>>	data.d/
>>	  |-- tmp/	- temporary files and locking flag
>>	  |-- wiki.d/	- only stored wiki pages
>
> The reason I didn't create a separate directory for this is that it
> means creating another webserver-writable directory that has to be
> protected from browsers somehow,

Agreed.

> and I felt things were generally simpler if all of the protected
> files were kept in one place rather than multiplying it to two or
> more.

Agreed when it comes to setting up PmWiki, disagreed when it comes to
setting up a back-up scheme. (We don't really want temporary files in
the backup.) Also disagreed when it comes to writing scripts that
manipulate the wiki pages directly, because the script would have to
filter the names of files that don't belong to the page store.

I'm not sure how to weigh the individual factors, but the issue
definitely isn't as clear-cut for me as it is for you :-)

(Somebody should really invent a way to create writable subdirectories
from PHP scripts...)

Regards,
Jo