[pmwiki-users] Re: meta and inline-styles

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jul 22 14:51:10 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 01:15:35AM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> On Saturday 23 July 2005 00:42, you wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 12:56:24AM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> > > Since pmwiki allows inline styling eg. in tables and divs,
> > > Is it important that the following be included in the <head>?
> > >
> > > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Style-Type" CONTENT="text/css">
> >
> > I don't know that it's critically important; the specs recommend
> > that user agents know what to do when it's omitted.
> My observations with some of the best formed sites show that they do leave
> this line out inspite of the inline-style usage.

To be honest, I had never seen it until your message.  :-)

> > I suspect that most of the PmWiki skin designers will continue
> > to request that PmWiki's defaults not make a bunch of output
> > related settings by default, so therefore it seems like we should
> > leave it up to the skins to include this tag as appropriate.
>
> I guess this would be best for the time being less other skin designers vote
> or ask for it.

Yes, I've now added it to the 'pmwiki' skin for the next release,
and I'll slowly migrate it into the other skins I maintain.  Or,
for my other sites I may just be lazy and use one of the programmatic
methods as a local customization instead of modifying all of the skins.
Or I may just not worry too much about it for now, since it's currently
working.  :-)