[pmwiki-users] Hosting a farm across multiple domains

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Jul 20 15:25:36 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-14  01:05 AM -0500, Jeremy Sproat is rumored to have said:
>I've thrown together a quick page of instructions for hosting a
>WikiFarm across multiple domains at
>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Sproaticus/WikiFarmsMultipleDomains
>
>If anyone has VirtualHosts on their Apache server and would like to
>test these instructions, I would be very grateful!

Sorry for the late reply, but I am just back from a trip.

The instructions appear to be fine for a Unix box, but I am trying to do
the same thing on Windoze Server. I did get a fairly clean method to work
some time ago and documented it here:

http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/index.php/Main/MyWikiFarm

I thought about merging it with your instructions, but I don't think that
would do anyone any favors.

Major differences:
1) Windoze does not have symlinks in any form I have been able to use easily.
2) I am not concerned with what the URLs look like. Most people start with
something like:
http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/ and never look at the URL again.
3) I use index.php as the "field invoker script" which allows the short URL
above to work if you declare index.php in a DirectoryIndex directive.
4) I make the "farm" field unexecutable but leave it inside the webserver root.

My scheme works with a combination of protected and unprotected realms and
I suspect yours does too. If not, that is another difference.

My setup is Apache 2, Windoze Server 2000, PmWiki 2.0 (started with beta 6
- now b40).

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/