[pmwiki-users] 2.0.beta44 released, major new features and changes

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 11 01:40:37 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 01:18:50AM -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
> >Any way using the markup to change the width of the e_textarea to
> >fill the width of the window?  Apparently you can set cols... I guess
> >it's possible with css though, that's how I did it before.. just that
> >specifying the target has changed (don't want to use cols... hardcodes
> >it... want it to be dynamic based on browser width).
>
> Hmmm... I'm not finding a good solution for this.  Seems that cols= is
> always supplied as part of the e_textarea input markup... In order to
> have the textarea use the width=100% in CSS, cols needs to be absent.
>
> I'm pretty sure about this...

Actually, my experience has told me that in general CSS properties
override attributes such as cols=, rows=, size=, or width= that
may appear in an HTML tag.  (Of course, the style= and class= attributes
of a tag will generally override other CSS properties).  It makes
sense...browsers that aren't CSS aware use the HTML attributes,
while browsers that are CSS aware use the CSS properties in preference
to the HTML attributes.

But more importantly, cols= and rows= are actually *required* attributes
of the <textarea> element [1].  If you omit them then the result is
not valid HTML.  :-)

Pm

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.7