[pmwiki-users] variables for customization

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jul 6 22:16:50 CDT 2005

Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:31:18PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:54:49PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>>
>>>And, on a tangent:
>>>3) Please make $Groupname, $Pagename, and $Fullname available in
>>>config.php. These values are simply too helpful to be omitted. (Yes I
>>>know they can be inferred from $pagename, but that's not what the
>>>average PmWiki admin will want to do.)
>>
>>No, no, no, because it will completely increase the confusion about the
>>substitutions taking place.  $Group, $Title, $FullName, $Name, $PageUrl,
>>are *not* tied to the current page being displayed, they're used for
>>whatever page name is being referenced, be it in a link to another page,
>>the title of a referenced page, etc.
>>

>>>Agreeing with everything except terminology.
>>>I'd prefer "placeholder" over "variable" or "markup" - "variable", while
>>>technically not as out-of-the-question as you make it out, would provoke
>>>misunderstandings, and "markup" is definitely something else.
>>
>>"Placeholder" is fine with me, but they really are markup.
>
> It's a shame they look so much like PHP variables then.  It tends to
> trigger that particular pattern in PHP programmer's heads and thus
> lead to confusion for some.

Exactly.

It's been frustrating and enraging to me trying to clear up what Pm and
me are actually talking about, which of these various namespaces follow
what rules. Seems like we were talking at cross-purpose, and that there
are not just two but (at least!) three namespaces involved: PHP
variables, wikipage markup variables, and those strange *Fmt variables
which seem to be a recurring pattern that I haven't been able to really
understand yet.

I think I should drop out of that discussion now. Anger and frustration
have always been bad advisors for me; they just keep me from sleeping.

Jo