[pmwiki-users] Keep() function documented

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jul 6 11:19:25 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>>> (The proof that nested structures can be handled line-by-line is
>>> demonstrated by the various list markups, which properly nest
>>> even in the face of different nesting levels and nesting types.)
>>
>> These markups generate nested HTML, which isn't trivial but a
>> different issue altogether.
>
> No, it's the *same* issue -- the fact that it's generating HTML is
> totally irrelevant to the problem.  PmWiki itself keeps track of the
> list nesting level for these structures, and does not (in fact
> cannot) rely on HTML to do the nesting.  Otherwise we aren't able to
> close the list items and lists properly, which is what nesting is all
> about.

Sure it keeps track of HTML nesting depth. Still, the nesting is on the
HTML side. PmWiki is *generating* nested constructs.

The point I'm exploring is *parsing* nested constructs, like the example
I'm going to give below.

> My point is simply that it's entirely possible to handle nested markup
> structures in a line-by-line processing mode, that PmWiki already does
> it for some markups, and let's not mislead ourselves or others into a
> false sense of believing it isn't possible just because PmWiki chooses
> not to do it in a few instances.

Well, OK, then assume I want to integrate a (:repeat:) markup that
integrates like this:

   (:repeat:)
     (:if...:)
       (:repeat:)
       (:repeatend:)
     (:else:)
     (:ifend:)
   (:repeatend:)

Where should I hook into PmWiki's framework do to that?

Regards,
Jo