[pmwiki-users] Question for better user than I

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 4 11:13:18 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 06:03:51PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Ferrosteph wrote:
> >Is it normal that code runs well only when I put it at the end of line?
> >I find interesting to put it anywhere in the input line, like "this is
> >my text\\and now on the next line\\"
>
> Try [[<<]] instead of \\.
> (No, I don't know why there are two markups for the same thing, and why
> they have a wildly different syntax. History reasons, I suppose.)

[[<<]] was the original "break" syntax, and it was uniformly hated
by authors.  However, it also took many months before we could came
up with \\ as the suitable alternative.

It's also worth noting that these are not precisely the same, [[<<]]
generates a "<br clear='all' />" while \\ at the end of a line generates
a simple break and joins the subsequent line to the current one.

In general we chose not to honor \\ in the middle of lines as a break
because there are situations (program code, for example) where a \\
in the middle of a line really means "\\".