[pmwiki-users] Re: Nice edit buttons slowing things down?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 31 17:34:56 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:20:36AM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:
>
> > At 2005-01-31  10:57 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> > >Am I the only one who has noticed that it takes a second or two longer to
> > >edit a page because of the graphical icons above the edit form?
> > >
> > >If this is verifiable, I'd just like to say that I hope they wont' become
> > >enabled by default in the standard PmWiki distrubtions. (To be honest,
> > >they annoy me :-)
> >
> > I have not seen any delay that I can measure.
>
> I wanted to meausre the delay, but couldn't activate the GUI buttons. How
> do I do that? (I did $EnableGUIButtons = 1; i config.php as per the
> instructions in sample-config.php)

$EnableGUIButtons = 1 should be sufficient; is there an $EditMessageFmt
variable in your $PageEditFmt definition for the buttons to be able to
appear?

To answer the original question; yes, I've sometimes noticed a slight
delay the first time I display an edit form with the buttons
(as it retrieves the images), but after that I don't notice any delay.
Perhaps your browser isn't caching the images?  Or perhaps Opera is just
slow about executing the JavaScript code that places the buttons into
the edit page?

For a variety of reasons, my plans for the forseeable future are
to keep the default distribution with GUI buttons disabled by default,
but easily enabled via $EnableGUIButtons = 1.  Of course, I could
change my mind about this.