[pmwiki-users] Observation about case sensitivity and page names (was: correction! Re: Make URLs not case sensitive?

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Fri Jan 28 23:19:47 CST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that the first word of a page title should be
> display with an uppercase letter, not a lowercase one.

On a more international perspective, titles in Scandinavia almost always
only have the first letter capitalized. E.g. where an American paper would
write a title as
	Global Warming May Cause Tsunami
the corresponding title in Swedish would be written as
	Växthuseffekt kan skapa tsunami

I'm just trying to point out that the desire to capitalize titles etc
probably depends on the language/culture.

> And saying that if I wanted the first word to be capitalized that
> I should've written the original link as [[My Photoshop page]] is
> wrong too, since I'm pretty sure that "my" should not be capitalized
> in the middle of a sentence unless it's being used in an honorific sense.

Which reminds me... what exactly is a 'page name'?  Is it a way to refer
to the page. But what about the case when there are many ways to refer to it?
	[[pagename]]
	[[page name]]
	[[Page Name]]
Does that mean there may be many pagenames for a single page.

Finally I'd just like to give a motivation for why I want to be able to
have capital letters in the URI of pages/groups: I administer a wiki for a
software called 'LyX' that uses 'LaTeX'. As you can imagine, I definitely
want URIs such as
	http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Lyx/Documentation
	http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/LaTeX/LateX
because that is how it should be written.

 /Christian